Started Apr 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
averacpa
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
New to M4/3, looking for telephoto lens advice
Apr 9, 2013

I recently acquired the GX-1, upgrading from the Lumix LX-5 (now a backup camera).  I still have Nikon and Canon DSLR, but wanted a lightweight rig for traveling.

With the GX-1, I have gotten the Olympus 9-18 zoom and 45 F1.8.  I looking for a mid telephoto that is sharp and fairly fast in focusing yet light probably.  Looking at lengths around the 45-150.  The purpose for the lens to get added reach when traveling.  Back in the old days with film, I only traveled with a 24 and 75-150mm lens then upgraded to the 17-35 and 85mm.  Those two lens captured most of the images I like.  Not able to afford a FF DLSR, the 17-35 became less used and now I rely on the Lumix LX-5 for the fast 24mm lens when traveling.  No desire to sell that zoom lens.

Currently I am using an old Nikon 75-150 f3.5 zoom (brought back to life with the M 4/3) which is very sharp and easy to manually focus plus I have an aperture ring.  However, it does weigh 614 grams (not heavy in the DSLR world) including the adapter.  I also have a Canon 85mm f1.8 with an adapter that is very sharp and also easy to focus.  It also weighs a bit and not as small as either the 9-18 or the 45.  Note, I have attached a RRS plate and use a CF monopod and ball head to get sharper images in low light (whenever I am allowed within the facility).

I have reviewed the threads between the Panasonic and Olympus zooms, but I don't have a clear winner. Looking for more of a hands-on use opinion.  Might even goes as far as the 100-300 since at 100, its basically double the 45 and that eliminate the overlap. Plus with the RRS plate and monopod, I should be able to get good results.  But it is a big lens, similar to the Nikon 75-150 and weighs a bit more around 682 grams, I believe.

Any suggestions?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow