LX7 - does its IQ compete with e.g. Sony RX100?

Started Apr 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,852
Like?
Re: LX7 - does its IQ compete with e.g. Sony RX100?
In reply to kkardster, Apr 9, 2013

kkardster wrote:

ultimitsu wrote:

"Faster" refers to the ability to use faster shutter speed while maintaining the same IQ. .

Herein lies the problem - for the rest of the world "faster" or "brighter" means the ability to use a faster shutter speed while maintaining the same exposure.

Here in deed lies the problem. what you said is largely true except it is missing another constant - it must be the same sensor.

You are obviously confusing IQ with ISO, probably because we all know the higher ISO, the higher the noise - and this is more of an issue with smaller sensors and their smaller receptors.

It is you that is confused. same ISO between two cameras do not mean the same IQ.

In an extreme example I give, D3s ISO 3200 yield the same IQ as LX7 iso 147.

Try googling "exposure triangle" for more details.

why dont you do just that?

And like I already stated, I agree that larger sensors typically produce better IQ, but they have nothing to do with lenses or exposure and an f/1.4 lens is always faster than an f/1.8 lens [and allow faster shutter speeds for a given ISO].

your head is stuck on "the same ISO", you need to wrap your head around the fact that "the same ISO" has no real world application whatsoever.

D3s's ISO 100 is vastly superior to LX7's ISO 100, D3S's ISO 3200 is as good as LX7's ISO 150. RX100 is somewhere in between. It is completely pointless comparing them at the same ISO.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow