Started Apr 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bosjohn21
Senior MemberPosts: 5,479
Like?
Leica myths
Apr 9, 2013

In the distant past I have occasionally posted articles about the many mythes about Leica cameras out there. I am mentioning some of these again for the newer members.

Myth: The M leica was designed as a photo journalists tool, While the M has over the years been a very popular camera for Photo journalism and is very well suited to it this is just not true.

Leitz did almost all the design work on the M 3 prior to WW2 well before the onset of eye level viable slr cameras. Leitz was designing a fully featured all purpose thirty five mm camrea. At the time of its design and introduction range finder cameras ruled supreme.

Myth for those of you using old screw mount Leica bodies that little lever under the take up knob or around the range finder eye piece is a diopeter correction. While it may seem like a diopeter correction it is not. The range finder on your screw mount Leica is a one and a half power telescope and the lever is for focusing the telescope. At normal photographing distances it can operate much like a diopeter correction but it will need to be refocused for close subjects. Don't take my word for this go out and set your range finder focusing lever to give you nice sharp images at fifteen feet and then look at somthing four feet away refocus and get a revolation wow.

John aka bosjohn21

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow