a57 v d5100 for first DSLR

Started Apr 6, 2013 | Questions thread
headfirst
Contributing MemberPosts: 584Gear list
Like?
Re: a57 v d5100 for first DSLR
In reply to Bjorn_L, Apr 9, 2013

Bjorn_L wrote

Back on the translucent mirror.... I do not understand the benefit over other mirrorless designs. This is all I said above. It does have a price... loss of some light (around 1/2 stop by most accounts) as well as a trivial reduction in DR, color and image detail. So that is the cost, what is the benefit over, for example, Panasonics approach? The GH series certainly has lighting fast and accurate video focus, etc... And so would seem to have the same benefits without the same cost.

The benefit is being able to use dedicated phase detect AF sensors. Even at it's best current Contrast Detect is not as fast or able to track moving targets as well.

Given time & more development Contrast Detect or on-sensor PDAF (or possibly even some other technology) will come upto or even surpass that but it isn't there yet & it certainly wasn't 3 years ago.

I don't think that anybody thinks that SLT is here to stay, it's a stopgap until other solutions appear or improve. At that point we can have cameras with excellent all round AF, no moving mirrors & quite probably by then no moving shutter either.

headfirst's gear list:headfirst's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony SLT-A77 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow