Nikon 85mm F1.8G I bought into the hype about how sharp it is. and " how its the best and sharpest"

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
nathantw
Senior MemberPosts: 1,131
Like?
Re: D800E F/1.8 example
In reply to Daisy AU, Apr 9, 2013

Daisy AU wrote:

ki11ua wrote:

From what I know, except from the additional 2/3 of a stop and better construction, it has a bit better bokeh, a bit faster AF and a bit better flare resistance, all mainly because of the better glasses used.

Thanks for that.  I will look at the 1.8G a bit closer, because it's considerably cheaper than the 1.4G.  But on the other hand, I don't have any 1.4 lenses.  Difficult choice, I think.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Daisy AU - Brisbane

I have a friend that was in the market for the 85mm f/1.4G. She wanted that one badly. I received mine, I tested it and I reported back to her to just get the 85 f/1.8G instead. The reason was that the advantages were small and had her ask herself if it was worth $1000. She agreed that the 85 f/1.8G would be better.

I tested the 85 f/1.4G with the 85 f/1.8AF (non-D) and the difference in the out of focus highlights are so small. The 85mm f/1.8 had donut shaped out of focus circles though it's not really noticeable unless you look hard. It doesn't sound like the 1.8G has that problem.

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathantw/
Always have a camera with you and make sure you use it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow