D7100 'streaking'

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
_sem_
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,110
Like?
Re: D7100 'streaking' - doesn't look like blooming or flare
In reply to krikman, Apr 9, 2013

krikman wrote:

My whole point was in-camera ADL work. I can strongly conclude from my D300s behaviour that in-camera ADL works selective. It not just compresses data range but lengthen exposition for darks and somehow restores lights. At levels that impossible for written RAW data. All this required some 'area recognition' for dark and light regions.

Don't let the impression fool you. ADL is a black-box magic packaged thing but is no black magic. Several raw converters and HDR tonemapping programs let you do similar rendering, although not exactly the same, mainly because ADL does not disclose which elementary operations (fill-light, brightness, contrast, local contrast...) it applies and to which degree - there seems to be a sort of a scene-recognition indeed that sets the values, and of course it is totally undocumented. But the main operation is certainly the "fill-light" (shadows protection slider in NX), which was once done via exposure mask (USM) in Photoshop before it got automated.

Notice LR4/ACR allow one to boost shadows much more than VNX2 with ADL.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow