RhysM
Senior MemberPosts: 1,711
Like?
Re: Feeling jipped with D600 39-pt AF?
In reply to Brian Caslis, Apr 9, 2013

Brian Caslis wrote:

RhysM wrote:

Nope, still agonising.

I am going on holiday in 3 weeks and want at least a week with the camera before, so will probably order something over the weekend.

I'm probably going to go for the D600 and let my logical side decide that it is capable for everything i need. I don't care about the megapixels but my gadget freak side is bothered by the AF system and may convince me that if spending £3000 on a camera plus lenses + accessories i might as well spend £3500 and get the D800.

I have no complaints with the AF. I had a D7000 in the past, and the D600 feels slightly faster than it. Of course, it's not going to be perfect, but even a D4 isn't. Unless you are getting paid based on the number of infocus images of speeding race cars I wouldn't worry about it. The only issue is that you have a more centered AF area than DX. But even the D800 is only a slightly bigger area and still smaller than DX, it's really not enough to worry about.

If you want a better camera then get the D800. But I think the D600 is really good enough for anyone except the most hard core extremes.

Yeah, i most likely will get the D600.

As i said, it's the gadget freak side of me that wants the higher spec.

If i'm completely honest, i don't recall ever having issue with or missing focus on many shots with my first ever Nikon DSLR which was a D80, for that matter nor my the Fuji S2 Pro which i had on long term loan from a friend. So the reality is the D600 will be great, but you know how it is with forums, the internet and endless resources of research, you start second guessing yourself.

I'm sure if i spent long enough i could think up a reason why there's not a single DSLR on the planet that meets my needs

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
NopeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow