a57 v d5100 for first DSLR

Started Apr 6, 2013 | Questions thread
T Evergreen
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
Re: a57 v d5100 for first DSLR
In reply to Wally626, Apr 9, 2013

As a Pentax user, I've got no preference for either brand, but it appears that the Sony has some interesting and useful features (like Pentax) that are not in the Nikon which are beneficial in a first camera.  The Sony has image stabilization built into the camera body, so any lens mounted on the camera will allow slower shutter speeds before shake becomes apparent.  With Nikon, shake reduction is built into the lens, but not all lenses have that feature.  Sony also has it's auto focus motor built into the camera body, so legacy lenses can be auto focused.  For the Sony that means you can use Minolta auto focus lenses dating back to the mid-1980s, according to what I've heard.  With the Nikon, you can only use lenses with focus motors built into the lens itself.  A third feature is focus peaking whereby high-contrast edges are outlined in color to show the area in focus.  The user can select which color (white, red, or yellow) is used for highlighting the in-focus objects, and this can be especially useful with manual focus lenses or in macro photography.

As far as ISO accuracy goes, I believe the DP Review for the A57 says the ISOs are within 1/6 stop at all settings.  And as far as image quality goes, I doubt there is much difference between the two cameras since they both use the same Sony sensor or nearly identical ones.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow