Senior MemberPosts: 2,862Gear list
Like?
Re: Feeling jipped with D600 39-pt AF?
In reply to paulski66, Apr 9, 2013

paulski66 wrote:

RhysM wrote:

paulski66 wrote:

RhysM wrote:

But instead of crippling the D600 to separate it from the D800, why not improve the D800? Create a 61 point AF system like Canon has for the 5D MKIII, make it sync at 1/500, etc

So, they're going to retroactively do this for a camera that has been on the market for 6 months?

Should they recall all of the d800s they have already released, and retrofit those at no cost to the consumers? Because you know all of the early adopters will howl if suddenly their d800s are "weaker" in specifcation to the newer ones rolling off the line.

You're missing the point, they knew what spec the D7100, D600 and D800 were going to be long before any of them were released so could have began designing and looking at implementation of a new AF/sync speed for the D800 years ago.

Or do you not know enough about the subject to realise how far in advance these cameras would have first been on the "drawing board"?

These cameras are iterated pretty quickly, by different design teams, trying to make specific price points.

I don't think the d600 was intentionally crippled; I think a cheaper AF module was used in order to keep the price as close to $2,000 as possible.

I think the d7100 got the newer AF system (despite what it added to the final cost of the product) in order to differentiate it from the d7000. On the other hand, Nikon cut costs by giving it a significantly smaller buffer. Personally, I prefer 39-point AF and a larger buffer, especially with a 24 MP camera.

100% agree with this. I don't see what anyone would be "upset" about. Pay less for lower specs or pay more for higher specs. Pretty simple, huh? Want to see "crippling"? Look at the Canon 6D, a new AF system designed to be crap (11 points, 1 cross sensor). Nikon at least based it on the D7000 AF along with improvements.

Brian Caslis's gear list:Brian Caslis's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
NopeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow