Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
digital ed
Senior MemberPosts: 2,957Gear list
Like?
Re: Macro Focus Stacking
In reply to bigpigbig, Apr 9, 2013

bigpigbig wrote:

Rob Casady wrote:

Moving the camera on a rail will also change magnification, but I think it is less than changing the lens focus ring.

I would really like to know if this is true.

I use a D800E w/ 105 Macro and Helicon Remote to capture images then Helicon Focus to stack them.

For certain scenes and lighting it works great, for others there are artifacts.

I have a Manfrotto Macro Slider I could use, but the automated process of Helicon is just SUPER fast, accurate and convenient.

For those who don't know, Helicon Remote comes with Helicon Focus. It asks you to set the near and far desired focus points and the number of steps you'd like it to capture (it will make recommendations as well depending on aperture and distance). Then, it controls the camera to capture the images and passes them seamlessly to Helicon Focus for the stacking to be done. A 40 shot stack can literally be done in less than 5 minutes.

Here is a quick and dirty example (I didn't clean up the second hand):

For Helicon if you do not connect the StackShot rail it controls the camera focus. If you connect the rail, it controls the rail. You can do either.

digital ed's gear list:digital ed's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D810 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow