To go full frame or not?

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
PaddyC
Regular MemberPosts: 134Gear list
Like?
Re: To go full frame or not?
In reply to nevada5, Apr 9, 2013

I have an a850 (with some nice lenses) and a NEX 5N (with a variety of lenses). I have yet to take the a850 with me on a trip or to a social gathering/event. As in never. It's too heavy. Too much to lug around.

The NEX 5N is such a capable camera. The problem is that the jump between APS-C and FF isn't as big as people make it out to be.

FF gives you the following:

1. Shoot wide-angles as intended (ie a 24 mm is a 24 mm – might not mean much if you don't come from a film background or like zooms).

2. Isolate your subject/achieve spatial relationships in the photograph that are different from APS-C.

3. Maybe some low-noise and detail advantage. But that depends a lot on the camera and lens combo. And might not be as big as you think and is all irrelevant if you don't use it and/or don't print big.

If you are a landscape photographer and like to print big then there's no question the d800 is going to do things for you that APS-C isn't. But that's a specific case. If you don't have a specific case (and it doesn't sound like you do) then it doesn't make a lot of sense to get into full frame.

PaddyC's gear list:PaddyC's gear list
Canon EOS M
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow