Accurately comparing FF vs APS-C sensor performance? An open discussion.

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,809Gear list
Like?
Re: Accurately comparing FF vs APS-C sensor performance? An open discussion.
In reply to Endos, Apr 9, 2013

Endos wrote:

But even if you compare the two using the same focal length of the lens (in this case, a 50mm lens on both), the APS-C will still have more depth of field than the Full Frame at the same aperture.

That's not true, just the oposite ir correct.

Yep, you are right there.  That is what I get having 10 different web pages open when referring to my references.  I flipped two of my pages.

I refer to this for my data on depth of field:

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

and

http://www.dofmaster.com/doftable.html

The Full Frame has its advantage in being able to offer shallower depths of field

Only if you compares the same frame with the same focal length.

Why would want to compare it any differently?  I am trying to make a comparison as close to apple to apples as possible.  With your explanation, you are asking me to compare apples to oranges.  Just because someone has a Full Frame doesn't mean they want to capture a particular subject differently than they would on an APS-C.  There may be times that they do, but in most cases they could very much as well do the same with the APS-C too.

If I use a 35mm on an APS-C to get  a view similar to what I would with a 50mm on a Full Frame, I very well wouldn't be using a 35mm on a Full Frame to capture the same scene.  I would be using a 50mm.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a77 II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow