Sigma 35mm f1.4 and Zeiss 35mm f1.4 Imatested

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Miljenko Devcic
Contributing MemberPosts: 963
Like?
Verdict
In reply to Miljenko Devcic, Apr 9, 2013

As you can easily see, Sigma 35mm f1.4 does incredibly good wide open (from f2.0 to f5.6) while Zeiss does better when stopped down, say from f2.8 to f11. As long as I remember, I didn't test any lens so far that measures so good wide open as Sigma 35 mm. OTOH, Zeiss Distagon measured absolutely highest resolution recorded so far: 3904 LW/PH at f5.6 (see the pic below). Beside Sigma 35mm f1.4 there is another winner here, a tiny and dirt cheap Nikkor 35mm f1.8G. From f2.5 to f10 it resolves over 3000 lines in vertical direction, not much lower that two expensive counterparts. Micro Nikkor 40mm f2.8 might sound sort of dissapointment here, but you must keep in mind we are dealing with extremely sharp contenders here and Micro Nikkor does remarkably well here, flying high over 3000 LW/PH from f4 to f11 with ease.
The verdict here is: get Sigma 35mm f1.4 if you planned to spend $900 or so for a moderately wide fast lens. If studio work and limitless budget is your kind of game, get the Zeiss and if short on budget get Nikkor 35mm f1.8 and you won't regret it. And if you can't afford longer macro lenses and you're able to squeeze macro lighting within an inch of working distance (I'm not!), then get the Forty.

-- hide signature --

Best regards, Miljenko
www.pbase.com/miljenko
www.fotomag.net
www.wikiphoto.net
This is my twin pbase account coegsistent with 'Miljenko'.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow