Started Apr 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SimonOL
Contributing MemberPosts: 835Gear list
Like?
Best P&S camera? Impossible question?!
Apr 9, 2013

My dad has asked me to recommend 'the best' compact p&s camera.

He is not interested in swapping lenses, just wants to pick up the camera and get good results without messing about with settings. He's also not really interested in learning how to get the best from a camera

He is quite attached to his ancient 10+ year old Fuji Finepix bridge camera (I forget which model but I believe it has a 6mp sensor and upscales images to 12mp somehow) simply because it gives good p&s results as long as you don't look too closely!

He also has a more modern mini Casio Exilim, but the quality is poor.

I'm considering recommending the RX100, but I'm not sure the Auto mode would be any good. The camera would be used in Auto mode 99.9% of the time, so most of the RX100 capabilities would be wasted. It's probably overkill for him and the cost would no doubt be off-putting.

What would you recommend?

SimonOL's gear list:SimonOL's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow