Bjorn_L
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,487Gear list
Like?
Re: a57 v d5100 for first DSLR
In reply to peevee1, Apr 9, 2013

peevee1 wrote:

kangaroo in oz wrote:

Hi guys

Besides the faster frame rate in the a57  i was just wondering if there is much difference in these cameras which would sway you to go one way or the other if you were recommending a DSLR for a first time buyer..

Price seems on par

CheersĀ 

Video. A57 can AF in video, and you can use viewfinder when shooting video. Also it has 1080p60 option. No contest here.

They use the same sensor, but due to fixed semi-transparent mirror in A57, high ISO is somewhat worse.

But D5100 produces worse colors in JPEG. Use their image comparison to see for yourself:

D5100

A57

I see smearing and loss of detail.  I believe the a57 was just using a higher level of ISO noise reduction.  This is an in camera setting which can be adjusted up on most cameras.

-- hide signature --

See my plan (in my profile) for what I shoot with. See my gallery for images I find amusing.

Bjorn_L's gear list:Bjorn_L's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow