FZ-200 How to best create slow motion video?

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Buzz Lightyear
Regular MemberPosts: 345Gear list
Like?
Re: FZ-200 How to best create slow motion video?
In reply to LoveRise, Apr 9, 2013

LoveRise wrote:

Greetings!

I love my new camera and have really grown enamored with the slow motion video and spent the day at a county fair capturing slow motion video of the carnival rides.

I'm wondering if you can achieve the same slow motion effect in a video editing program by just slowing down the normal video in an editing program.

If I record a slow motion video could I also speed it up in a video editing program without degrading the quality so it will play at normal speed?

What are your opinions about the pros and cons of using the slow motion/high speed in camera recording setting?

Also, on youtube I have seen videos taken with this camera where it looks like it's time lapse with clouds rolling by fast and the traffic speeding up. Yet I know this camera doesn't have a time lapse setting so how is this accomplished because I would like to be able to recreate that effect.

With much appreciation,

Laurie

Yes, if you take a video at 60fps and play it at 1/2 speed (30fps), it will give the effect of slow motion, with no reduction in quality.  Same with slow motion video, only to achieve a realistic-looking motion (at least with the CyberLink PowerDirector software I use), I had to increase the time factor by 3.

I did not know about using the built-in miniature effect to create a time lapse recording.  That's very cool.  I have also created time lapse videos by using a Pixel remote timer that can be used as a normal remote shutter release as well as interval timer.

http://www.amazon.com/Control-Shutter-Panasonic-cameras-compatible/dp/B00404X7V6

With the remote timer device, it does take a bit of learning to understand how to attach and use it, but you also do not have the problem of some images being blurry because of the "miniature" effect.  With a remote timer, you can set a variety of time lengths between shots to get different time lapse effects that you cannot get by using the miniature effect.

Buzz Lightyear's gear list:Buzz Lightyear's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow