Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Stephan Def
Regular MemberPosts: 258Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 or D5200 and best budget lenses
In reply to symthic, Apr 9, 2013

symthic wrote:

Hey.

I sold my Nex-5n because couldn't get used to not having a viewfinder. Also missed the easier and faster to use physical adjustment buttons of a 'real' DSLR.

I've decided that my next one is going to be a Nikon, either D7100 or D5200.

My budget is around 1500-2000€, preferably closer to 1500€.

It should include a body, a standard zoom at <100mm range and also a telephoto lens.

The lenses I've thought about are:

Nikon AF-S Nikkor VR G 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6

or

- Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 Di VC USD

And to conver the short end:

- Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 SP XR LD II Di VC

Now the question is, are there better lenses out there for same price range? Also which would be better, getting D5200 and better lenses or D7100 and a bit poorer lenses? If you were to buy D7100 or D5200 + lenses with budget of ~1500€+ for mostly highspeed/macro/wildlife/landscape and a bit sports+portrait photography, what would you get? Cheers

I would get the Nikon D7100, however I see it coming down in price some more in the next 9 Months, buts thats life, if you want the latest and greatest then you have to pay the premium for it. Just for a comparison: the Canon 60D, also a very fine DSLR, can currently be had for round about 620€ (note I am not a Canon salesman, I just compare prices to get an idea about actual values...).

On the lens side of the house you face far tougher choices. The Tamron set you listed looks about right to me, the variance in the production quality of Tamron products is something to look out for however, but I understand they have a good warranty policy.

You might also consider the Tamron 70-200 2.8, the old model, it is very highly rated.

The Nikon 16-85 is also a very competetive contender, unfortunately its bloody expensive, but if you could pick one up used ... maybe.

Cheers and have fun

Stephan Def's gear list:Stephan Def's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow