Getting a single lens. Which would be more practical? 35mm or the 18-50mm zoom?

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,551Gear list
Like?
Re: Getting a single lens. Which would be more practical? 35mm or the 18-50mm zoom?
In reply to Lawliet, Apr 9, 2013

Lawliet wrote:

I I know I'll be getting the 50-200 whenever it comes out. Until it comes out I figured I'd get the 35mm (since that would cover like 85% of my subjects)

however. I've been hearing that the 18-50 is quite sharp and quick for a zoom lens. On top of that it has a netoy style of AF that is much faster.

Faster AF and a fear of seeing a 35mm updated with the new AF innards has me a little divided.

What would your general opinion be guys? Is the new zoom really notably faster in real world perofrmance?

if the AF boost isn't huge I would much rather  slap on the 35mm since it's much more discrete.

More practical? The 18-55mm. Inevitably, it is a zoom.

The better lens and the one I couldn't do without? The 35mm.

To be honest the 35mm has always had slower AF than some of the other lenses, though it is pretty good now. However, optically it is a stunning lens, particularly wide open, but stopped down too. It compares very well with 50mm SLR lenses both optically and construction wise.

Don't get me wrong, the zoom is good too (very sharp), but it does suffer from distortion and it is slower.

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow