Carry Speed Sun Shade with DP2 Merrill

Started Jan 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Gary Dean Mercer Clark
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,172Gear list
Like?
Re: Carry Speed Sun Shade with DP2 Merrill
In reply to Lin Evans, Apr 9, 2013

Lin Evans wrote:

A few days ago someone asked about sunshades for the DPM series cameras. I mentioned the Carry Speed VF-3 Universal Viewfinder which is an optical sunshade with magnification and diopter adjustment which retails for $129.99 USD.

Link to VF-3 from Carry Speed

I'm happy to report that it "will" work with the DP2 Merrill. The fit isn't "perfect" because there is a 5/16th inch (7.9375 mm) "gap" between the LCD and the housing on the VF-3 when mounted on the DP2 Merrill. This gap lets in a bit of light from the sides, but is inconsequential in actual operation.

It "would" be possible to close up this gap about half-way by removing (sawing off) part of the end of the insertion bar which mounts the device to the base which connects to the tripod mount on the camera, but I didn't find it necessary to do so because it works fine with the 7.9 mm gap. I find that even in very bright sunlight to the sides, there is absolutely no problem clearly viewing the LCD. Below are some quick snapshots of the device mounted on my DP2 Merrill...

The device also comes with a carrying strap and a place on the baseplate to mount it.

In all - I find it a very satisfactory solution to allow full use of the camera's controls and complete access to the battery/SD card while mounted on my tripod.

Back flipped up to act only as sunshade - usable, but much better when using as optical device...

Side view showing that all buttons are available on camera with device mounted...

Side View showing "gap" between LCD and device...

Optical viewer flipped up - just a small thumb pressure "latch" easily accessed...

View showing lens of DP2 Merrill and mounting plate which comes with device...

Lin

-- hide signature --

learntomakeslidshows.net

Thats a wonderful idea Lin. I'm going to check it out. I need to get the lightest tripod to carry that I can get away with too.  I like the flip up design. Make is pretty handy.  Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Gary Dean Mercer Clark

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow