Started Apr 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
fcna72
Regular MemberPosts: 213Gear list
Like?
DPR purpose and strategy
Apr 9, 2013

Having read reviews on DPR over many years, I am wondering whether the site editors could provide some communication over the site strategy and key 'market' or 'mission statement' (big words I know)... it feels like (in particular since the move to the US and associate with Amazon, which I would have expected to generate more capacity for reviews etc) that the site is becoming a more general information site (eg with early reviews which contains only facts - for the most part that can be already read from the manufacturers' announcement, news of camera photo capabilities etc) rather than a site dedicated to enthusiasts with details reviews and OPINIONS.

DPR used to be regarded as an authority in providing independent views on cameras but I am quite surprised that reviews on camera like the GH3 and many other brands consistently take more time to be published than other many other smaller sites manage to do... Follow up is almost inexistant (ref GX1 full review mentioning powerzoom issues, supposely to be followed up with Panasonic, never followed up despite repeated emails etc. How many people does DPR employ? Are they all amateurs? How long does it take to prepare a full review? Reviews used to be published much faster in the past, so what has changed at DPR over the years?

If this is a deliberate decision, this is perfectly fine (this is a free site so the owners can do as they feel), but it would be great if expectations could be set. This site used to be run by passionated photographers (who themselves used to participate in forums), I must say that it doesn't feel the same anymore...or am I missing something?

Please don't take this personally, I am just trying to understand rather than flame anyone.

fcna72's gear list:fcna72's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow