Let's help Jim Malcolm

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Alex Sarbu
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,501Gear list
Like?
Re: "The Camera The Way it Is." Excellent vision and strategy.
In reply to moving_comfort, Apr 9, 2013

moving_comfort wrote:

Matthew Miller wrote:

In the interview, Jim Malcolm says:

Right, so this is kind of consistent with a lot of the research that we’ve done internally and it’s a little bit rewarding, and I guess that’s my big surprise. If you follow what the Internet says and you read the forums, the only way that Pentax is going to survive is full frame. Well, the Pentaxians are saying, “Just keep doing what you’re doing." Let’s work on optics, let’s work on the size of the camera, or the weather resistance, and battery life and resolution and start paying attention to—continue paying attention to—the camera the way it is.

He very clearly says that their customer research — "lots of research" — into the existing Pentax user base shows that people want continued improvements which play to Pentax's strengths. ("The camera the way it is.") This is in contrast to what one might think in reading "the forums" on the Internet. He even said he was surprised to see this, not that it was what he expected or wanted to see.

It is, therefore, laughable to point at more anecdotal evidence on an Internet forum as some sort of gotcha. You are following exactly what he said, except the actual point went over your head.

"...Pentaxians are saying, “Just keep doing what you’re doing."

They are?    As in, 5th place and dropping, Sigma/Tamron slowly leaving the mount... keep it up!?  This sounds like Thom Hogan playing a joke on us.

Yes, they were. It should be obvious that they weren't talking about the market position, but how they like the Pentax cameras - solid, compact, great ergonomics, weather sealed etc - and want Pentax to continue in the same style. To improve on what they have, instead of needlessly searching for new directions.

I have no need for a Pentax which isn't Pentax anymore.

"...Let’s work on optics, let’s work on the size of the camera, or the weather resistance, and battery life and resolution and start paying attention to—continue paying attention to—the camera the way it is."

It would be hard to make up a less inspiring message.

It's much better than, for example, "Please change something - anything! I don't care if you jump off a cliff, as long as it's different"

Optics?  Sure - if you intend to stick with and somehow dominate the aps-c DSLR space, where are the exciting new optics, then?

"work on" size?  How much smaller can you make an aps-c DSLR?  How much smaller can you make a K-01 replacement while still keeping the K-mount register distance?  What is there to work on?

"work on" weather resistance?  What, a new type of O-ring?  What is there to work on here?

"battery life" - ??  Invent a new cell?  Put the camera to sleep quicker?  What exciting development can you do here that someone else cannot do?

"resolution"?  - you mean finally, at some point, go with the 24MP aps-c Sony sensor?  OK, what after that with regard to 'resolution'?  36MP?  54MP?  on aps-c?!  (Maybe I like  all my lenses diffraction-limited by f/3.5! )

What is so surprising? They can improve in all these areas; yes, even weather resistance, they could launch more WR primes for example. Battery life, the K-30 is not so good. Resolution, indeed, 24MP is expected.

Really, it all makes sense.

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow