Nikon 85mm F1.8G I bought into the hype about how sharp it is. and " how its the best and sharpest"

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
just Tony
Contributing MemberPosts: 693
Like?
Triangles vs. points of light
In reply to nathantw, Apr 9, 2013

nathantw wrote:

One of the things that has never been shown with the f/1.8G is whether points of lights at the corners when shot at f/1.8 are pinpoints or triangle shape.

I haven't tried the 1.8G but I specifically tested the 1.4G for astrophotography. I found it to be not quite suitable for that purpose at 1.4 (check out the blue halos on the mercury lamps too):

85mm f/1.4 AFS-G at f/1.4. Really good for a 1.4 but those aren't pinpoints.

but it's much better by f/4.0, and I consider it to be excellent for a 1.4 design:

85mm f/1.4 AFS-G at f/4.0

These are 2:1 downsamplings at the lower left corner. The streaks extending to the lower right of the brighter lights are the poles that support the lights (it's not an optical problem). Additional light poles are visible to the upper right as well.

In my case I needed a lens that would provide pinpoints, or close it it, when wide open.

Both the 1.4 and 1.8 might be disappointing then.

If the f/1.8G does that then yes, I could have spent $1k less. If the lights are triangle shape, well, it was money well spent.

It's actually a question about whether the triangular smears are equivalent, and which lens cleans up first with stopping down.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow