Started Apr 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hman982
New MemberPosts: 14Gear list
Like?
Buying Advice - Used Canon 24-70 f2.8 mk1 or New Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC
Apr 9, 2013

Does anyone have experience with both lenses that you could share with me?  I am looking for a good workhorse lens and am between the Canon 24-70 f2.8 mk1 (mk2 is too expensive for me) or the new Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC.

I currently shoot with a Canon 50D, but will hopefully upgrading to a Canon 7D (or hopefully a new version of the 7D) or the Canon 5D Mark II (used) or the 6D later this year.

I have rented the Canon 24-70 a bunch of times and have liked its performance for my use, but have never used the Tamron.  I have the Canon 24-70 currently on hold at the local camera shop to give me time to decide.  The date code on the Canon is UX1215, which I believe indicates that the lens was built in 2009.

Currently, I do not shoot video (as the 50D does not have that capability) but depending on the camera that I end up getting in the future, could see myself shooting short family videos (non-professional).

By the way, the Canon lens is $1,100, while I know that the Tamron is $1,300.  Is the Tamron lens an upgrade to the Canon MKI?  This particular Canon Lens comes with a 2 week warranty (aka return policy), compared to the Tamron 6 yr warranty.

Also to add, the local camera shop mentioned some issues with the Canon 24-70 when placed on higher MP cameras.  Has anyone noticed this?

Signed

Newbie seeking advice

hman982's gear list:hman982's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow