Can Yongnuo 622C Triggers also be used as shutter releases?

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,319Gear list
Like?
Re: Can Yongnuo 622C Triggers also be used as shutter releases?
In reply to abhijats, Apr 9, 2013

No, the YN-622 can't be used as a remote trigger for the camera.

The way to do it is to buy a pair of RF-602s (not RF-603s) and the N3 connector cable for the Canon.  The cable will connect the receiver to the camera and trigger it when the subject presses the test button on the transmitter.

When the shutter opens the YN-622 mounted on the hot-show will send out the trigger pulse to the flash.  The RF-602 and YN-622 won't interfere with each other.

Amazon.com - Yongnuo New RF-602 C3 Wireless Remote control Switch & Studio Flash Trigger Combi System for Canon Eos 1D,1DS,5D,5DII,7D,10D,20D,30D,40D,50D

Now my question is why the heck do you want to use a YN-622?

The last thing you want to do is use off-camera flash in TTL mode if the subject to flash distance is fixed, as it generally is in a photo booth type setup.  If you use any form of TTL the exposure will change with each different type of clothing the subjects wear. The result is a nightmare of post processing exposure adjustments.

You are far better off using the camera in full manual exposure mode and using the off-camera flash in full manual power control mode. Get the exposure right and forget it - all the images will be properly exposed with no variations.

The only reason for using the YN-622 would be to allow you to adjust the manual flash power at the beginning, and to my mind that hardly justifies the cost of the YN-622 over a total of $55 for a dual RF-602 system.

YONGNUO RF-602 2.4GHz Wireless Remote Flash Trigger for CANON

I use two RF-602 systems myself.  One set is on one frequency to act as a camera trigger, the second set is on a different frequency for the off-camera flash trigger.  It is extremely reliable for an investment of less than the cost of one YN-622 system.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow