Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
ranalli
Contributing MemberPosts: 835
Like?
Re: Nikon D800 or D7100 for aspiring photographer
In reply to greg606, Apr 9, 2013

greg606 wrote:

Hi

I need your advise. I recently sold my Canon 50D and and C 70-300 and stayed with C 17-55 2.8.

I bought Nikon D7100 with 18-300.

But....

Now I am considering switching it to D800 + primes. I decided to switch to nikon based on dxomark scores and more attractive prices.  I am not a pro but I am aiming to. I have an IT company with photography as one of the fields of operationWhat's important to me is superior image quality.  I shoot mainly personal shots - family, journeys (now I go to Toscany)  I love wildilfe photograph.

I am dissatisfied with perfomance of d71000 (5frames!, small buffer, too small for my hands, small viewfinder) and totally with the lens (I bought terrible lens with hell of distortions, loq IQ).

If I buy d800 I will initially go with 1-2 primes which can be hard for me as I love zooms convenience but I was planning to switch to more image quality and landed with some bad choices.  Also d800 would place me in the market with some earning potential as I dont see d7100 here. But I read - not good for weddings, not god for concerts, not good for animals, sports at all.

I feel d800 will be switch into full artistic expression. I love catching the moments.

What would you advice?

Nikon d800 has some limitations for me too - FPS being one. But image quality is something I'm aiming at.

On the other hand I am more gadget man than really into photography (feel unhappy with anything than best). Of course price is also a factor, too.

some my photos: http://szczotka.net/photography

Look, not to sound negative but you're wasting your money and your talent if you think that buying a D800 is doing to dramatically help your photography.

If money is no object then sure...it may help a little...maybe.

But get better glass, light modifiers, etc.  I can think of several other things beyond a body that will greatly further your photography over the latest body.

Having a great camera and taking crummy pictures is a complete waste; I'm not saying your pictures are crummy but I'm sure you get my point...body really doesn't matter.

People are still taking fantastic breath-taking photos with their D40s, D70s, D90s, etc.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow