Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Louno
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?
Re: Good buy? SMC Pentax-A 50mm f1.7 + Vivitar 28-200mm f3.5-5.3
In reply to kuuan, Apr 9, 2013

kuuan wrote:

Louno wrote:

sorry to bump this up, but, i'm about to go out to check out the lens... i'd just like to hear what some of you think...?

the Pentax A 1.7/50 is a great lens, don't know the Vivitar

-
photos mostly taken with manual lenses on Sony NEX5N, Pentax K-x and *istDs: http://flickr.com/photos/kuuan/

Thanks Kuuan, I had already seen your awesome lenses comparisons from my previous thread and actually found the pentax-A 50mm 1.7 to be amongst the sharpest. It is mostly based on your sample photos that I considered buying this lens, however this was only your lens and I wanted to see some more sample and hear more opinions before committing...
Anyhow, I went to see the lens, the glass was super clean, however I couldn't open/close the aperture... I was disappointed at first but then noticed there is a little kind of metal "stick" on the back of the lens, on the mount part, which when moved left or right controls the aperture opening, this allowed me to control the aperture but required a bit of force to move as the stick was a bit bent and was rubbing against the mount metal flange part, I assumed this friction was preventing the aperture control ring from working, it clicked but didn't move, I had to move this stick manually from the back of the lens to make it work... So I offered to get the lens for 25$ as I thought I could straighten back this little stick... I arrived home and used some pliers to straighten it up, its not 100% straight but it doesnt rub anymore and now i can freely control the aperture on the lens directly... I just hope that this little bent will not prevent me to mount the lens on the adapter... which I haven't ordered yet.

I also got the vivitar, but, i'm not sure why, its ridiculously large and heavy, i think it might break/damage the camera, especially if I only hold the camera body without supporting the lens... the aperture is only 3.5 though so it might not be fast enough especially since there is no image stabilization... I'm affraid this is going to be a waste of money but I got it because it was in very good condition and idk, for 35$ it seems like an awesome deal and people have been recommending long focal length macro lenses for food photography, so i'll give it a try...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow