Getting a single lens. Which would be more practical? 35mm or the 18-50mm zoom?

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
John
Regular MemberPosts: 233
Like?
Re: Getting a single lens. Which would be more practical? 35mm or the 18-50mm zoom?
In reply to Lawliet, Apr 9, 2013

I cannot speak about auto-focus speed, since the pictures I currently take don't deal with that.  But I would ask myself:

• Do I need to take pictures of moving subjects or subject matter which "spontaneously" changes, or will I sit there and contemplate how the focusing looks?
  • Will I be moving around (on location / hiking) where changing lenses is a pain
  • Is changing perspective (position of shot) not an option and you need to frame the subject differently?
  • Will I be making large prints from my resulting pictures?  How large?  How sharp do I need this lens to be?
  • How large is the largest aperture for low light?

And then go from there...

Although I was apprehensive when I got the kit zoom lens, the results I got so far exceeded my expectations for sharpness.  When bought as a kit with the body and the performance, IMHO the kit zoom is an absolute bargain to me!  But then my requirements may differ from others...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow