Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Stephen McDonald
Forum ProPosts: 11,984
Like?
Re: Yup Steve is Right Again....
In reply to Trafford, Apr 9, 2013

Trafford wrote:

Duck44 wrote:

I took one off the top of a windshield in Eastern Louisiana.  He thought he had enough time to get up off the dead raccoon, he was wrong.

Windshield was fine.

Nice captures.  the close up of their nose is quite freaky.

Rich

What an odd looking beak.

I went looking up Towers of Silence in Wikipedia, remembering them from my Army Service in India.

It seem the vultures which used to clean up the corpses laid out on the tower grilles,
are nearly extinct due to a massive chemical disaster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Towers_of_silence

In the several decades of the late twentieth and early twenty-first century the population of birds of prey on the Indian subcontinent declined, by 99.9% as of 2008, primarily due to diclofenac poisoning of the birds following the introduction of that drug for livestock in the 1990s[5], until banned for cattle by the Indian government in 2006. The few surviving birds are often unable to fully consume the bodies.[6] Parsi communities in India are currently evaluating captive breeding of vultures and the use of "solar concentrators" (which are essentially large mirrors) to accelerate decomposition.[7] Some have been forced to resort to burial, as the solar collectors work only in clear weather. Vultures formerly disposed of a body in minutes, and no other method has proved fully effective.

The Indian Government may have banned this drug for use on cattle, but it is still being obtained from bootleg sources. It destroys the kidneys of the vultures. Neighboring countries where the drug isn't used, have some vultures remaining. Whether the Indian Government can eradicate its use, remains to be seen. Vultures have a slow rate of reproduction, so even if the drug was no longer in use, it would take decades for the population to be restored. This is just one of many environmental disasters that are unfolding, caused by commercial enterprises that have no regard for anything except their profits.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow