Getting a single lens. Which would be more practical? 35mm or the 18-50mm zoom?

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
AdamJRed
Contributing MemberPosts: 540Gear list
Like?
Re: Getting a single lens. Which would be more practical? 35mm or the 18-50mm zoom?
In reply to Lawliet, Apr 9, 2013

It's a difficult question and partly why so many own both lenses.

Many of us have a 'knee-jerk' reaction to needing the zoom.  We somehow feel that we will be artistically crippled without zoom.  While I'm not arguing the technical validity, I've found (through the use of an X100 incidentally) that a single focal length lens does not cripple me.

Countless times I've used my cellphone camera to try capture everything from landscapes to portraits, yet it only has a single 38mm FOV (in 35mm equivalent).  Its just another example where we can forget that we don't have a zoom, when there is no option to begin with.

All of that said, the zoom is the sharpest 18-55mm I've ever used, great detail, nice bokeh, it's a very strong lens on its own.

If  I had to choose between just the 35 or just the 18-55, I'd take the later just because I can do more creatively with different focal lengths than I could with just one.   If money was not a concern, I'd have the 14mm, 35mm, and 60mm lenses in my bag instead of the zoom...

Good luck!

AdamJRed's gear list:AdamJRed's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Lytro Light Field 8GB Fujifilm X-E1 Sony Alpha 7 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow