LX7 - does its IQ compete with e.g. Sony RX100?

Started Apr 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,860
Like?
Re: LX7 - does its IQ compete with e.g. Sony RX100?
In reply to kkardster, Apr 9, 2013

kkardster wrote:

Note that I'm not saying that bigger sensors don't yield better IQ - they typically do.  Larger sensors allow for larger receptors, resulting in less noise and the ability to user higher ISO as each receptor has more light to "work" with (primarily due to their larger area).  Having a larger area and more light to work with does not make the lens brighter or faster - it's a benefit due to the sensor.

"Faster" refers to the ability to use faster shutter speed while maintaining the same IQ. What contributes to RX100's ability to use faster ss while maintaining better IQ is the combination of having a larger sensor and larger real aperture.

If RX100 had the same sensor but a smaller aperture, for example F4, the opening would be 2.5mm at wide end. It would be slower than LX7 because it must use slower SS to maintain the same IQ.

I only jumped in here because you are misleading people.

That is what you are doing with your half-baked understanding of IQ and Aperture.

You need to review the Aperture chapter in your beginning photography book so you understand the difference between f/1.4 and f/1.8 when it comes to taking photographs.

You need to understand that they are ratios, not absolute values.

Maybe then you'll even understand why I like having the constant f/2.8 lens on my FZ200.

I understand that you think you do, but you probably don't.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow