Lightroom JPEG preview: What am I missing here?

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,500Gear list
Like?
Re: Lightroom JPEG preview: What am I missing here?
In reply to Jim Hess, Apr 9, 2013

Jim Hess wrote:

It isn't just the camera profile that becomes part of the default settings.  Anything you adjust (profile, sharpness, saturation, white balance, curve settings, you get the idea, EVERYTHING) will become part of your default settings.  After you have made those default settings you can apply them to any images that you have already important by just selecting those images and hitting the reset button.

The easy way to make a new camera profile s to start with the ones Adobe has built into LR's Camera Calibration.  Start with a brand new imported image that you haven't made any changes to and try them all.  Pick the one that is closest to what you want then modify it before saving it as a custom preset with a meaningful name.

If you shoot your test images in both JPG and RAW you can display them side by side to make finding the changes for the RAW file easier.

Finally hold down the Alt (Option)  key and the button for Reset will change to Set Default.  Click on Set Default and you will now be seeing all your RAW images displayed with your new user defined Camera Calibration.

Personally I don't recommend doing this.  I find that the default preview looks as good as a JPG IF you have a good exposure.  After tweaking the Exposure adjustments I have an even better  looking image that only needs polishing with things like Vibrance and Sharpness, and of course retouching or compositing which I do in Photoshop.  I wouldn't want to get used to starting with a pseudo JPG image.

Outdoor I use the Highlight Alert to make doing Expose To The Right easy.  I can't remember the last time I had to adjust the exposure of a normal outdoor image more than 1/3 stop in post production.

Sailorblue - Digital Photography Review - HA-ETTR: An Easier Way To Expose To The Right Using The Camera's Highlight Alert

In really difficult lighting conditions I do Exposure Bracketing and HDR or image compositing if absolutely necessary.  These are pretty much last ditch techniques.

I use a calibrated flash meter indoors so my exposures are normally spot on.  If the model moves a small bit then I know the exposures won't vary more than a couple of tenths of a stop, which is easy to fix in LR.  If I change the lighting or move the model much I will readjust the lighting powers or camera exposure.

If your RAW images start off looking dark in LR then you are underexposing.  The camera JPGs will still look reasonably well exposed because adjusting the exposure is part of the process of converting the RAW data into an in-camera JPG.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow