Upgrade from D300 for a poor college student?

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Ray Ritchie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,749
Like?
Re: Upgrade from D300 for a poor college student?
In reply to ultimitsu, Apr 9, 2013

I believe DxO is the first to use the notion of "megapixels" as a measure of sharpness. There was a lot of discussion here about what it meant when they started using that metric, and as I recall, a lot of people here, myself included, did not really understand what it meant. Perhaps you could post a separate thread giving your interpretation as an aid to those of us who are having trouble with the concept.

I would note that most reviews of lenses previously used measures like line pairs of resolution and MTF, both of which have been used for a long time and are pretty well understood. Attaching the notion of a number of megapixels less than the actual megapixel count of a given sensor to the resolution of a lens is much less well quantified, in my opinion. There are so many parameters other than pixel count that determine the IQ of a camera/ lens combination that I can't quite wrap my brain around what that specific number may mean.

But to return to my previous comment, I do believe you can see a distinct improvement in image quality going from a D300 to a D600 with the same lens. I even believe you can get significant improvement with the D600 using a less expensive lens than you use on the D300. Going from D300 to D700 with the same lens, however, the improvement may be noticeable under some shooting conditions, but up to ISO 800, I think it's pretty usually pretty hard to see. I would be very interested if you can show me an image shot on a D700 with 24-85VR lens which is better in IQ than the same image shot with the D300 and 17-55. I've never seen that comparison, and doubt that it can be done.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow