Nikon 85mm F1.8G I bought into the hype about how sharp it is. and " how its the best and sharpest"

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
GregF
Senior MemberPosts: 1,912
Like?
Sharp but not perfect
In reply to tektrader, Apr 9, 2013

I am a bit dissapointed in the green/purple madness on OOF edges; it is very distracting in some of my people pics (how about green eyebrows but I have read up on it and understand it isn't uncommon.  What I also understand is- I believe my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 OS does a better job in this specific area wide open, than the 85mm 1.8G at f/2.8...Sigma seems to have done a stellar job at color aberration control with the newer lenses.  That almost means more to me than slightly better sharpness across the frame, as I typically am not using my 85 to shoot flat surfaces at f/1.8; I'm using it to isolate a subject somewhat away from the borders of the frame.

I can't see the 85 1.8G is any better in this respect than my old 50 1.8D, which was something I was really hoping had improved.

On the flip side, it does reasonably well at catching moving subjects in average light.  In good light it does admirably.

I think in conclusion for me- I value color aberration control as much, or more than absolute sharpness as the main measure of image quality.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow