Wedding Lighting Options

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,800Gear list
Like?
Re: Wedding Lighting Options
In reply to Halkett Photography, Apr 9, 2013

As cyrano said, you would get more responses if this was in the Lighting forum.

Since you are just getting into buying studio equipment I recommend you read my article on studio equipment.  I wrote it to help others avoid my mistake after I wasted my money buying cheap low quality equipment.

Sailorblue - Digital Photography Review - Equipment Guide for Setting up a Small Home Portrait/Glamor Studio

$1000 is a tight budget for a professional level system.  You can do it but if you can spring for a bit more you can get a better quality set.

I would recommend AlienBee B800s as the budget studio strobe for amateurs but Einstein E640s are a better choice for the professional.  They are more powerful than the B800s but they have 9 stops of power adjustment vs 6 stops so they can be used with the largest to the smallest modifiers.  Einsteins also have greater color stability than AlienBees.

Buy B800s or B400s for hair, accent, and background lights.

Either the B800s or the Einsteins work with the CyberSync system.  One feature built-in the CyberCommander is a flash meter yet the CyberCommander costs less than most flash meters, and as far as I'm concerned a flash meter is vital to professional studio work.

PCB modifiers are great as is the Vagabond Mini.  I suggest the 30"x60" softbox for portraits.  Vertical for standing, horizontal for waist up of one to three subjects.  Two will work for main and fill or you can buy a smaller one for fill.

Another great choice is a 86" PLM with a sock.  I would go for the soft silver but others prefer the silver or white.  This is great for standing portraits or groups.  The effects are totally different with or without the sock, giving you some nice flexibility in lighting.

PCB's reputation for quality and customer service are the best in the business.

Paul C. Buff

It is easy to find third party accessories for PCB lights.  One example might be a 10"x30" strip softbox with a grid to use as a hair or accent light.  Just remember that the cheap Chinese ones won't be up to the quality of what you buy from PCB but they can still give you years of service if you are careful with them.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow