Canon 85 f/1.8 vs Sigma 85 1.4: 2 pics

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Doug_PS
Regular MemberPosts: 319Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 85 f/1.8 vs Sigma 85 1.4: 2 pics
In reply to Timbukto, Apr 9, 2013

Timbukto wrote:

You actually did a good job MFAing your lenses, they both have almost exactly the same focus point.  You can see this by comparing the purple green LoCA on the white/black transition on the shirt.  I agree the Canon 1.8 wide-open needs a little PP love.  My question would be are you able to PP the picture to your satisfaction on either.  If the answer is yes, I would personally pick the lighter/smaller lens.  The Sigma has more LoCA but its also wider open at f1.6.  It would be interesting to see 1.8 vs 1.8.

At wide open performances I think resolution is hard to judge subjectively as its CA and spherical aberrations that tend to take over.  I think both seem sharp enough for intended purposes.  If the Sigma AF is almost as fast as the Canon, it seems like it definitely is a pretty fast focuser for the extra weight in elements.  I believe Nikon's 85mms do not focus as fast as the Sigma.

I have some Canon 85mm 1.8 test shots in my gallery with a lot of symmetrical objects from 1.8 to f4.

When I compared the Sigma 50 1.4 to the Canon, one of the things I saw was the Canon started to really over-take the Sigma as you stopped down.  I wonder how the 85mms compare in that regard.

The warmer look to the Sigma seems pretty characteristic...its really strong in the Sigma 17-50, but also noticeable in the 50mm.  A little warmer slightly more yellow tone.  The Canons are very neutral in color IMO.

Interesting observation on the LoCA.  I wasn't aware that you could use this to help determine focus point.  The micro-adjustments are always a challenge.  However, I've found that all of my lenses need some (some more than others).  I try to set it once and "hopefully" be done with it!   You asked about the ability to PP the pictures to remove the purple fringing.  I use Lightroom 4, I"ll have to experiment a bit to see if I can clean up this effect.  If so, I agree with you...the Canon is tough to beat when you factor everything in: Price, size, weight, IQ, Autofocus speed/accuracy.....

I've added a photo of the same scene shot with the Sigma at f/1.8 (per your request).

You mentioned "When I compared the Sigma 50 1.4 to the Canon, one of the things I saw was the Canon started to really over-take the Sigma as you stopped down.  I wonder how the 85mms compare in that regard".  I found that to be the case with this test as well.  The Canon 85 1.8 stopped down is a "cutting" sharp lens (at least mine is).  I can try to add a pic taken from each lens at 5.6 if anyone is interested.

Doug_PS's gear list:Doug_PS's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow