Looking for a P&S compliment to my E-M5, advice please.

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
S. Miller
Contributing MemberPosts: 597
Like?
Re: LX7 or RX100?
In reply to fotophool, Apr 9, 2013

fotophool wrote:

I think your choices basically boil down to these two.

If cost is any consideration, the RX100 is approx. $600 vs $300 for the LX7 on sale.

I like the LX7 for its quick ability to shift from 1:1 aspect ratio to 16:19, plus the 24mm wide angle view. Plus, I have a fondness for some of its Art Filters, particularly Dynamic B&W.

In other words, it's a fun back up P&S.

Ditto the RX100. It's a relatively new purchase so I haven't felt myself around with it as much, especially with regards to its panorama and HDR functions.

But even though it's slower in some aspects (f stop when zoomed out, etc), its larger sensor is going to give you a lot more leeway in post processing.

The below was shot at f5.6 at 6400 ISO. I don't think the LX7 files are going to clean up nearly that well.

As always, it depends on what you're going to use the P&S for. Low light, landscape, what?

Sony RX100 @ ISO 6400

Thanks photo (or Mr. Phool?),

Am I wrong in my assumption that because of the 1.5 to 2 stop advantage with the lenses on the XZ-2 or LX-7 (vs the RX100), in the same shooting environment, I'll always be shooting at 1.5 to 2 stops higher ISO with the RX100 (all other things held equal)? The sensor gets great reviews, but based on my assumption, it HAS TO be better just to stay even. So I don't necessarily give the "low light" advantage to the larger sensor RX100. I can definitely say that based on the admittedly quick and dirty test shots I took today, I wasn't blown away by the Sony.

I'm with you on the LX-7. If I see it for that ridiculous $300 sale price, it will be mighty tough to say no.

Steve

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow