My 1st Prime: 85 1.8G

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Cytokine
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
Re: My 1st Prime: 85 1.8G
In reply to Texas Heat, Apr 9, 2013

Welcome to the joys and frustrations of narrow depth of field photography, and a good start, at first it is always surprising how small the depth of field is especially when you get too close, and an on line depth of field calculator is a really handy tool. I started with the 50mm 1.4D and now find the 85mm 1.4 easier to use.

Apart from flowers it is useful in portrait photography, and I think helps people to think more creatively, although you can spend hours trying to get a good result.

One technique I use is to capture some colourful flowers in the background which makes the blur look more interesting. Also try f2.8 and alter subject distance, to increase DOF.

If you get a chance try out the 85 1.4's the D version gives a very similar blur to the Canon 1.2L looking at the photo-zone tests. (those blurry corners are there for a good reason.) it becomes sharp even in the corners at landscape apertures, although it is always sharper in the centre.

John

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow