F900EXR - I'm in love

Started Apr 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 32,556Gear list
Like?
Re: F900EXR - I'm in love
In reply to alexisgreat, Apr 9, 2013

alexisgreat wrote:

Kim, in testing M size DR100 vs M size DR400 it was very hard to tell if there was any amount of noise benefit to the former, as a matter of fact, in low light images (which would be a good reason to use higher ISO lol) M size DR400 often seemed to provide a better noise response because the shadows looked much better.

I am in complete agreement with you. Low light tends to have extreme contrast as lights become speculars and the wash of light tends to look harsh in DR100 ... it is actually more useful at night than during the day.

But if you check very dark scenes, you will find that there is a slight advantage to SN mode over DR400 mode. As there must be since the curves selects one or the other and only in the middle should we see much contribution from both exposures. Still, it is not enough for me to give up the EXR magic ...

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow