F900EXR - I'm in love

Started Apr 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 33,145Gear list
Like?
Re: F900EXR - I'm in love
In reply to Richard Southworth, Apr 9, 2013

Richard Southworth wrote:

From what I know of DR adjustments I'd just as soon have none, it generally involves forcing the ISO artificially higher (causing a lower total exposure) to protect the highlights, and then amplifying up the shadows and mid-tones, a sure-fire way to increase noise.

That is true in high resolution modes, yes. But in medium resolution modes, including EXR DR and SN modes. the pixel pairs in the sensor are combined either 2=>1 as with SN or on a curve to compress the dynamic range as in DR400 (2 stops) or DR200 (1 stop) ... the thing is, with the blend modes you still get a considerable improvement in noise handling.

It may be of value shooting jpeg when one doesn't want to fool around with post-processing, but for a raw workflow it's of little or no value IMO, if I want to protect the highlights I'll just dial in some negative exposure compensation.

You have some reading to do to understand EXR technology, because you are talking about every camera except for EXR based cameras.

Suggest you start here: Nothing Special: How to Shoot an EXR Camera

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow