Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,715
Like?
Re: Nikon D800 or D7100 for aspiring photographer
In reply to Anker BergSonne, Apr 8, 2013

Anker BergSonne wrote:

Lenses are investments.

My Nikon AF 20-35mm f/2.8D (holy when new) was outdated years ago and replaced with a 17-35mm f/2.8, which is now outdated. The 17-35 was sharper and had more range than the 20-35.

My AF 60mm f/2.8D Micro was superseded by the AF-S 60mm f/2.8G. The AF-S is supposed to be sharper, but couldn't see that before getting the D800E.

My Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8D VR G-AFS ED-IF lens has been superseded by the VRII. Preparing to sell the VR and replace it with the 70-200mm f/4.

My AF 35-70mm f/2.8D was outdated and replaced by the AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G. The 35-70's front element rotated with focus, which was bad with polarizing filters. The 24-70 has more range.

My 85mm PC has been superseded by the 85mm PC-E. The PC-E is supposedly sharper, and has an automatic aperture. On the PC you have to open the aperture manually to focus, then remember to stop it down before shooting.

I hear that the 50mm f/1.8D and f/1.4D have been superseded by the f/1.8G and f/1.4G which are sharper and have better bokeh.

I hear that the 85mm f/1.8D and f/1.4D have been superseded by the f/1.8G and f/1.4G which are sharper and have better bokeh.

Lenses may last a little longer than bodies, but they haven't proved to be lifetime investments for me. None of the lenses I bought in 1970 will work on DSLRs without modification. Even after modification, none of them hold up to their contemporary counterparts.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow