Artistic statement or just post processing frenzy?

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
vkphoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,618
Like?
Artistic statement or just post processing frenzy?
Apr 8, 2013

Folks,

I would like to ask my fellow forum members how far you would go with post processing and why?  What, in your opinion, makes PP “good taste” vs. “overcooked”? Is every image manipulation a ”fair game” as long as it helps you to express yourself? Can a photographer just say “this is how I see the world” and that’s it?

Let me illustrate what I mean (with some exaggeration)

Some time ago we had a party and our friends brought a lot of flowers, very nice flowers. Couple days ago they faded. Before my wife threw them away I took a picture with my almost standard set up and post processing for still life.

Standard process

When I looked at the picture I realized that it is boring and doesn’t reflect my feelings. Why? Because combination of faded flowers, weathered wood and, in contrast, crisp crystal vase reminded me (for some reason) of how short this life is.  The word vanitas (ukiyo?) would describe it better. On the picture above everything looks...eh.. normal, not even close to ukiyo.

So I processed the picture further to emphasize how "transient" our life is

Artistic concept

I showed both pictures to my friends and they all agreed that the first one is "OK" and the second one is "sad". Well, I guess it worked.

But, as photographer, I still see the second picture as just another "overcooked" photo.....

Can you share your experience with post processed pictures and presenting them to the audience?

Thanks,

vkphoto

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow