Nikon 85mm F1.8G I bought into the hype about how sharp it is. and " how its the best and sharpest"

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,750Gear list
Like?
Re: Wait a Minute!!
In reply to tektrader, Apr 8, 2013

tektrader wrote:

I returned the Samyang primarily because wide open it wasnt any better than the 70-200 at F2.8. It was a bit soft.

The Nikon 85 F1.8 has way way more CA than the Samyang which IMO has limited its use. This lens is SOFTER than the 70-200. I am after the crispness and microfocus from the Nikon 85 as I want to use it for stitched panoramas. Doesnt seem I will get it.

I think you're having trouble accepting the facts about this.

Your problem lies elsewhere, which I can easily show because I did a bokeh test earlier today and it happens to fit this discussion.

The 85mm 1.8G is slightly sharper than the 70-200 VRII. If yours is not then you have a camera/lens issue. All of my lenses are carefully AF tuned.

Here are four shots, all at 85mm, close to same settings using Tamron 70-300, 85mm 1.8G, 24-85vr, and the 70-200 VRII. Again, ALL at 85mm.

There is little sharpness difference, but the 85mm 1.8G is the leader by an ever-so-slight margin.

And just so there is NO DOUBT, the 85mm is just about as sharp at 1.8 as the Nikon 70-200 VRII is at 2.8.

I just clicked off the shot above, so the lighting has changed. But the sharpness of the 85mm 1.8G is extremely good, easily a match for my 70-200.

Sorry, but you have either a camera or lens problem or both.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow