Which Sony Nex camera is best for a busy Mum?

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Questions thread
CLYoung
Regular MemberPosts: 185Gear list
Like?
Re: Which Sony Nex camera is best for a busy Mum?
In reply to APhotoNovice, Apr 8, 2013

I've just bought a 5R for this purpose, as a small second camera with good image quality, to be used most often when out with my two sons. Are you intending to keep the D40 as well? I'm keeping my D80, which is a similar vintage, because I still think there is an advantage to a DSLR, particularly for action shots. It will get replaced in due course. But there are plenty of times when my top priority has to be running after the boys and with a DSLR hanging round my neck that can be tricky. Not so much now they're 10 and 7, but my youngest did get clonked a few times with the SLR when he was a toddler! There's also all the children's paraphernalia that takes up space. My 5R fits in the bag I carry most often so it can be always with me.

I chose the 5R over the 3N mainly for the hybrid focussing and the control wheel, which I find invaluable. I considered the 6 but that was a little bigger and heavier again and more expensive, it went past a psychological barrier that said too expensive to leave in my bag all the time. If this was going to be my main camera I'd have gone for the 6.

I find it great in low light even with the kit lens because I'm coming from an ancient D80, I imagine you'll find the same. Yes, my DSLR with PDAF is better for action, but the NEX is way better than the P&S it replaces and when my eldest was little I was still using a manual focus film SLR, and even with that I got some decent shots. The articulating screen is great for taking shots at children's level.

Hope that helps.

CLYoung's gear list:CLYoung's gear list
NEX5R Fujifilm X-M1 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow