To go full frame or not?

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mike Fewster
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,875
Like?
FF in a period of rapid change.
In reply to Tastybread, Apr 8, 2013

I'd wait a year before committing to a new FF system. Sony is clearly testing the waters for FF and large sensor developments. Nex ff? Panasonic recently made noises about possible FF directions as well. Olympus has a great tradition of small format FF cameras in film and must be thinking hard about current trends. Todays DPR news story on the Blackmagic camera is interesting. I can see future large sensor cameras using that large sensor to give much better quality in camera cropping with consequences for long focal length lens. A relatively small large sensor where you had the versatility not to have to carry those big lenses?

Those FF things aren't just big, they are heavy. If I really wanted to explore this immediately I'd be looking at the Sony A99 and sharing the lens with my Nex. I currently use an A900 and Nex however the Nex gets more use due to size and weight. For 80% of my picture taking needs the Nex is fine. I'll be looking closely at the low light performance of the 7r which is supposed to be released next month.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow