Recommend an inexpensive fast MF portrait prime for NEX ?

Started Apr 6, 2013 | Questions thread
Amamba
Senior MemberPosts: 1,220Gear list
Like?
Re: Recommend an inexpensive fast MF portrait prime for NEX ?
In reply to saintz, Apr 8, 2013

I am starting to find out that the biggest problem with NEX system is really the lack of lenses. For primes, NEX seems to have at least some choice, but I really don't see any stellar mid-priced  zooms like Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 17-50/2.8 OS or Canon 17-55/ 2.8 IS. At least not in the E mount with correspondisite compact size.

The photos I was taking over site week with 18-55 OSS are nice but compared to what I get with T3i and Sigma 17-50/2.8 softer, especially in the edges / corners, and lacking contrast somewhat. I assume this is part due to the kit being a much slower lens being used wide open much of the time and part due to the optics.

I hope this is not the camera problem, with sensor size and Sony known sensor quality It really shouldn't be.

I ordered SEL50f18, and I expect to see much better results with it. Seems there's a few primes in E mount that are pretty good, and a plethora of old MF primes.

But I couldn't find E mount zooms. 16-50 seems to have the same IQ as 18-55. 18-200 is a superzoom so I would be very surprised if it was anywhere near the desired quality. Plus it's expensive and rather large. Unless I missed something, looks like there's a glaring hole in NEX lens lineup...

Amamba's gear list:Amamba's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow