Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Letsgokoulos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,466
Like?
Long range zoom lens with LA-EA2
Apr 8, 2013

I am looking for a long zoom to be used with my LA-EA2 adapter, for the main purpose of shooting (pictures only!) airplanes at airshows.

I am looking for an acceptable level of sharpness, AF, and a zoom range going up to 300mm or better, 400mm. The weight is not a major criterion, but the lighter the better. it is to be noted that the sharpness at the high end must be acceptable, for planes do not often fly close to the public.
My main targets are propeller planes, since I am mainly interested in War Birds from WWII, but of course I would like to have the ability to shoot any flying object during the shows.
There is no minimum focal length. I need a zoom to have the ability of varying focal length according to the planes paths, and I intend to use some primes lenses for the static part of the airshow.
Due to the fact that I will have a limited use for that lens, I do not intend to invest over 300-350€ at this point, and would rather spend much less if possible.
I have already searched places like Dyxum and have found a few candidates, such as the Minolta 100-300mm APO (D or not), the Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro, the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO Super Macro II.

I would much appreciate if anyone could provide information on lenses that would meet the above criteria, and also for any original picture that could show various lens capabilities and assist me in my quest.

Anyone with airshows experience is welcome to share his experience as well !

Marc

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow