Nikon 85mm F1.8G I bought into the hype about how sharp it is. and " how its the best and sharpest"

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
tektrader
Contributing MemberPosts: 647Gear list
Like?
Re: Wait a Minute!!
In reply to mistermejia, Apr 8, 2013

I returned the Samyang primarily because wide open it wasnt any better than the 70-200 at F2.8. It was a bit soft.

The Nikon 85 F1.8 has way way more CA than the Samyang which IMO has limited its use. This lens is SOFTER than the 70-200. I am after the crispness and microfocus from the Nikon 85 as I want to use it for stitched panoramas. Doesnt seem I will get it.

BTW I did buy the lens from a USA business and it has a Nikon USA warranty inside. But I live in Australia so I have to send it back to New York now.

I quite liked the rendering of the Samyang, but it wasnt worth $400 extra seeing I already had a 70-200 which was just as sharp.

Samyang photo, Quite good at F8, This image was sharpened etc BTW

mistermejia wrote:

You returned your Samyang 85 1.4??  Now you are having problems with your Nikon 85 1.8?

Doesn't that tell you that there might be something wrong with your camera?  I have the Ronikon 85 1.4 too and i would NEVER sell that lens, at 1.4 my copy is already very sharp.  Something else is going on here, no?

tektrader's gear list:tektrader's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow