To go full frame or not?

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
PaulR
Regular MemberPosts: 307Gear list
Like?
Re: To go full frame or not?
In reply to Tastybread, Apr 8, 2013

I have the NEX-7 and the D600.   Generally, I find the actual resolution of the NEX-7 with the Sigma 30mm and 19mm to be better than the D600 with any of the comparable focal length lenses I would use with it and the kit zooms on both platforms are very good and fairly comparable.  The Nikon has a much wider selection of lenses.  I recently bought the Nikon 24-120mm f4 VR and so far that seems to be a really excellent lens.

The D600 clearly has lower noise and better color.   And obviously, you can get much better out of focus areas with an FX sensor and the wide range of f1.4 and f1.8 lenses available on the D600 if that is important to you.  I didn't like the Sony 10-18mm zoom so if you want really wide angle shots the D600 is a better choice.

The fold out screen of the NEX-7 is a big advantage of the NEX-7 but the optical viewfinder of the D600 is much better than the EVF so that is sort of a tradeoff.

But the overwhelming advantage of the NEX-7 is simply weight.  It weighs so much less that I almost always find I reach for it rather than the D600 when I want to go out and shoot.  Obviously, that would be less of a factor for a professional.

If I could only have one camera I would choose the NEX-7 hands down for my style of shooting.  Your mileage may vary LOL.

PaulR's gear list:PaulR's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7R Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow