Accurately comparing FF vs APS-C sensor performance? An open discussion.

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,802Gear list
Like?
Re: Accurately comparing FF vs APS-C sensor performance? An open discussion.
In reply to OntarioJohn, Apr 8, 2013

OntarioJohn wrote:

...In the end it's my eyes that count.

That is very true, and I am not trying to counter that.

My observations are more on the technical side of how everything ties together.  It is more than just a sensor.  It is also the lens, shutter speed, aperture, and ISO that help make the picture.  Those factors vary between Full Frame and APS-C, in some ways more than what people might initially think.  It something that makes you use each camera a little differently.

You might shoot a landscape at F/11 or F/13 with your A99, I might only need to shoot at F/8 with an A77 to get a similar look.  But what else changes in the settings that the camera is taking care of that can positively or negatively effect your end result?  Did you have to shoot at a longer shutter speed, risking blur or camera shake, or did you shoot at a higher ISO than what you would have with an A77?

Those are the questions I was asking myself and what I was trying to discuss.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a77 II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow