Macro Focus Stacking

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Duncan C
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,558
Like?
Re: Remote shutter release, tripods and heads.
In reply to digital ed, Apr 8, 2013

digital ed wrote:

Bob from Plymouth wrote:

Nice write up Duncan. I too have a D600 and recently bought the Tamron 90mm macro lens.

I've been using Adobe CS with some success for focus stacked images. Just two simple steps, firstly to Auto Align all the layers then Auto Blend.

I like the D600 live view for macro work as you can zoom the screen and shift the autofocus point or critically focus in manual mode.

A really firm camera mount is crucial and I've been using a very sturdy video tripod but I've just bought a Three Legged Thing to try. Also the self timer is useful to let things settle if you don't have the means of remote shutter release.

I use a D800 and the shutter delay is critical for optimum sharpness. I use the 3 second delay for my camera even when on a sturdy tripod.

As far as remote shutter release, Nikon Camera Control handles that. I hook my camera to my laptop, put it in live view mode, get my focus set, then click the "Shutter" button. Camera Control also has the option to change the focus in very small, set increments, which is really useful.

I think I need a better tripod head for macros. I was working in our rec room, with the flowers on top of our (very heavy) pool table, with my tripod next to the table. The floors are maple hardwood, and quite solid. I noticed that if I moved around much on the floor, the image would bounce around on the screen. I found that really surprising. Now, I had my tripod head flipped sideways so I could shoot in landscape orientation, which means the camera is not centered over the legs of the tripod any more. Still, I would not have expected motion transmitted through a hard-wood floor like that.

For now my solution was to sit still as I worked the camera control, and not shift my weight around.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow